Memoirs of a Mad Book Dealer

This is a tale of a book dealer. This is about me. I am someone who used to be something else entirely... and became shaken from the trenches by the new world economy. Perhaps I should be angry, but many find me simply mad. This is just not true. You will be surprised about who might be sane, especially when it is does not include you.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, October 31, 2004

CASSANDRA


I awoke with a start and a loud whisper in my ear. "CASSANDRA" the whisper said right into my head. I don't recall any dream but I was startled out of wherever I was with those words. My heart was beating from the sudden change. Since I was a child I thought Cassandra was a beautiful name, but always found the story disturbing.

There are a few different versions of the Cassandra myth, but the basic tale is that she can foretell the future but no one believes her! Even after she has said many times over what tragedy lies in wait and no one listens, then the event occurs, no one ever says, "Cassandra told you so." Perhaps that is because our mothers taught us better. At least my Mom taught me to never say, "I told you so." It just is not nice since it is always too late. Don't rub the salt in the wound.

In one version of the Cassandra story, the God Apollo falls in love (or lust) with her and grants her the gift of prophesy. However, after accepting the gift, she then denies Apollo her beautiful body. He curses her so that no one will ever believe her truth.

For some reason, I had "Cassandra" ringing in my ears with that loud head whisper. It was as though someone was actually there, but I was alone in my room. I thought about if this would be a problem for me. Having been a government employee for years, I am well versed to search for the loopholes and interpretations of policy as though it were fine poetry. Did Cassandra ever truly know that someone had cursed her and what exactly the curse consisted of? If no one believes the truth, then simply tell them something else for their own good?

"Goodbye guys! Have a nice time at the battle! I am sure it will be short and sweet and you will come back soon victorious!" "Holy shitake mushrooms!" the warriors would exclaim, "Did you hear that!!!?" "Yes," the others would respond with distress showing clearly on their faces, "Cassandra says we will be victorious. I don't believe her though. Lets just stay home."

Can you do that and be true to yourself? We all must work with what we got... Right? Of course I just blew the whole story of "The Illiad" and "The Oddessy." Now all that will never occur... but that is ok... Do you think so? Truthfully, I will not be able to change any great story with the status of "The Illiad." However, I will be your Cassandra, since what I have to tell you will never believe. You will think me mad, but I think much of the world is crazy. When it is your time to believe, you will be on your way to something else and so much different no one will ever even wish to think they "told you so." It just won't matter anymore since your tale will be received the same as mine... It will simply be dismissed by many as madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home